Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The way I see it


I feel like Merideth, another member of this group, did a great job on expanding on the entire quote as a whole, but I just wanted to expand on this little aspect in particular. I wrote this piece before I knew that she had already done the quote, but I think I could still add to it.


“There is a place,
If ancient and prophetic fame in Heav’n
Err not, another world, the happy seat
Of some new race called Man about this time
To be created like us though less
In pow’r and excellence but favored more
Of Him who rules above” (2. 345-51)

This section struck me as particularly interesting so far in everything I have read in Paradise Lost. In this speech, the narrator is exclaiming that humans (who have not yet come into existence) are going to be created and are exactly like the fallen angles who dwell in hell. The only difference is that they don’t have supernatural powers, but they will still be more favored by God than the fallen angels ever will. It’s a bit like a slap in the face. Satan and the fallen angels were technically Gods first children. They were there first. This new species of “Man” can be unperfect, do wrong, and sin on a regular basis, yet God will still love and accept this new creation more than them. Even though the only thing that seperates man from them is that they are not angels. I find that by the creation of “Man”, God is replacing those he cast in hell like they were nothing more than a previous mistake. Understandably, towards the end of the book Satan is determined to cross through the gates of hell and investigate this new creation, hoping to tempt Man into doing evil.


I believe this adds to the whole viewpoint of God being portrayed as an evil tyrant from Santan’s perspective. “Man” will now be God’s new supporter (if they follow the faith accordingly, that is), and are there in a way to make up for every being cast into hell. I think this parallel’s what was was being discussed in class with the author’s personal life as well. Allow me to explain.

According to my class notes, England had a civil war in 1642 when Charles I had some conflict with religious radicals (mostly calvinists and puritans who controlled Parliament). The civil war in England can be expressed through the war between Good and Evil in terms of Heaven and Hell. In a way it is a civil war since the fallen angels are in conflict with Heaven and God, whom they used to belong to. Maybe Milton viewed Hell as Parliament through Paradise Lost at the time. Book 2 does contain three speeches about going to war. When Oliver Cromwell became in charge of Parliament Charles I was beheaded, much like Satan was cast into hell. The two just did not agree. If God is portrayed as Cromwell and Charles I is portrayed as Satan, then it makes sense. Charles I beheading coresponds with Satan being sent to Hell, with Cromwell (as God in Paradise Lost) doing the beheading (and casting off). During this time, as head of Parliament, Cromwell was very influential. He pretty much ran everthing in england, just like God runs everything in Paradise Lost. God is portrayed as this merciless tyrant in the book, much like Oliver Cromwell was when he was in power. Of course, this is a pretty far fetched comparison, but it is the way I see it. I am merley making a comparison between the two events, I am in no way suggesting that they are directly connected with each other. If anyone has comments to add please do.

No comments: